1970 Folwell Ave.
Saint Paul, MN 55108
- M.Ag. University of Minnesota–Twin Cities, Horticulture, 2002. Project title: Development of the Sustainable Herbaceous Plant Maintenance Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series
- M.A. University of Minnesota–Twin Cities, Visual Communication, 1990. Project title: Designing Corporate Newsletters
- B.A. Gustavus Adolphus College, Communications / Spanish, 1985
Areas of Interest
Landscape design, plant selection, home horticulture best practices, invasive species
As an Extension educator in horticulture (2014-present), I have statewide responsibility for horticulture teaching, research, and outreach with special focus on plant selection, sustainable residential landscaping and best practices in home horticulture. Recent research included my Flowers for Pollinators study on annual flowers and Pollinators for Food studying annual flowers and pollination of bell peppers. I coordinate and regularly appear on the popular WCCO Radio Smart Gardens show (Saturdays, 8-9 am, AM 830), and released the second version of the Plant Elements of Design plant selection database. I also serve on the MN Department of Agriculture Noxious Weed Advisory Committee and the MN Nursery and Landscape Association Education and Certification Committee. I earned master’s degrees in visual communication and horticulture from the University of Minnesota after which I taught landscape design (2002-2007) and served as state director of the Extension Master Gardener Program (2007 – 2014).
HORT 1003 Horticulture for the Home Gardener 2008 - 2013
HORT 4021 Landscape Design, Implementation and Management 2002 - 2007
HORT 4022 Applications in Computer-Aided Design for Landscapes 2005 - 2007
HORT 5018 Landscape Design & Implementation II 2002 - 2003
HORT 5021 Landscape Design, Implementation and Management 2002 - 2007
Extension Master Gardener Core Course. Instructor, author. Certification. Herbaceous Plants, Trees, and Shrubs, Indoor Plants. 2008 - 2021
Licensed Pesticide Applicator Training. Instructor, author. Certification.
- Weisenhorn, J. and Wolfin, J. Guidelines to Bee Lawn Maintenance. 2020-2021.
- Trott, R., Weisenhorn, J. and Wyatt, G. Mistaken Identity – Nuisance Plants and their Noxious Weed Look-alikes. 2018-2019.
- Zuzek, K., Wyatt, G. and Weisenhorn, J. Invasive Terrestrial Plants and Noxious Weeds of Minnesota. 2017-2018.
- Weisenhorn, J. and Foord, K. Landscaping for Pollinators. 2016-2017.
Master Gardener Advanced Education. Certification.
- Weisenhorn, J. Hahn, J., Evans, E., Meyer, M. , Foord, K. and Bauer, S. Flowers for Pollinators.
- Weisenhorn, J. Good Questions, Good Answer.
- Zuzek, K., Weisenhorn, J. and Bauer, S. Water Wisely.
- Landscape Design Basics Workshop. 2004 – 2021. Instructor, author. Non-credit. 15 hours.
- Houseplant Patrol: Basic care, propagation and problem solving. 2 hours.
- Plant Selection: Right Plant, Right Place – A sustainable approach to plant selection. 2 hours.
- Sentenced-to-Serve Crew Leader Training Program: Landscape Maintenance, Turf Maintenance. 2014 – 2019. Instructor, author. 12 hours.
- Garden Time: Gardening education for residents. Lake Minnetonka Shores senior living community, Spring Park, MN. Year-round 2017 – 2019, 2021.
- Residential Design & Plant Selection for Master Gardener volunteers. Twin City Habitat for Humanity.
- Smart Gardening workshop series. Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, Chaska, MN. 2015.
- Engaging Extension Volunteers in Research, E3 Summit, Iowa State University, Ames IA, September 25, 2014.
Plant selection for Upper Midwest landscapes
Sustainable landscape design and implementation
Flowers for Pollinators
Technology for landscape design, plant selection, and education
Best landscape management practices
WCCO Smart Gardens radio show. Weekly. Team members: Weisenhorn, J., Meyer, M. and Roooney, T. 2013 – present.
Survey: How pollinator-friendly is your landscape? 2017 – 2021. 5,281+ responses (03/08/21). Follow up survey December 2018.
Survey: WCCO Listener Survey. 2019-2021.
Garden Time: Lake Minnetonka Shores Senior Living Community, Spring Park, MN. 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021
The Five Considerations of Sustainable Landscape Design (video series). September 2020.
- Introduction to the 5 considerations of sustainable design (5:28) 379 views. https://youtu.be/K7v3QjRkzqQ
- Functional considerations (6:24) 176 views. https://youtu.be/RgPYDVxIu08
- Maintenance considerations (12:01) 204 views. https://youtu.be/bc7DVVM-QtU
- Environmentally sound considerations (3:46). 106 views. https://youtu.be/_mY3Nn0vLWc
- Visual appeal considerations (2:49). 207 views. https://youtu.be/-74SPvvhOTg
- Case study: Applying the five considerations of sustainable design to a home landscape (15:45). 186 views. https://youtu.be/KCBA5lPge6w
Selected sessions for the gardening public:
- Houseplant Patrol: Basic care, problem solving and resources
- Plant Selection: Right Plant, Right Place - Right Purpose!
- Flowers for Pollinators: Do annual flowers attract insect pollinators?
- Renovation of a Home Landscape
- Solving Landscape Problems: 3 Case Studies
- Edible Landscaping: Blending beauty with bounty
- Xeriscaping and Plants for Dry Conditions
- Plant Selection for a Changing Climate
- Planning for a Sustainable Yard and Garden: An Introduction
- Creating a Pollinator Friendly Landscape for Pollinators
- Extension Yard & Garden News. Various. https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden/yard-and-garden-news
- Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series, 2002 – 2017 https://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/202985
- Author, Plant Elements of Design plant selection program, v.2.0, 2006 – present http://www.landscapeplants.extension.umn.edu/
- Davenport-Hagen, L.; Weisenhorn, J.; Meyer, M. H. Applied Research Engages Extension Master Gardener Volunteers. Journal of Extension August 2018. https://www.joe.org/joe/2018august/iw5.php
- Dorn, S.; Bradley, L.; Hamrick, D.; Weisenhorn, J.; Bennett, P.; Callabro, J.; Behe, B.; Bauske, E.; Bumgarner, N. The National Initiative for Consumer Horticulture: Focusing on the Critical Role of Communication and Collaboration to Further Research, Extension, and Industry Goals. HortTechnology http://horttech.ashspublications.org/content/28/4/414.abstract
- Weisenhorn, J., Hagen, L., Meyer, M., Su, X. “Biochar as a Soil Amendment in Extension Demonstration Vegetable Gardens” https://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/189778
- Posted July 2017 on the CenUSA website: https://cenusa.iastate.edu/files/mn_extension_mg_biochar_demo_garden_report_2012-2015.pdf
- Growing bulbs indoors. 2020. https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/growing-bulbs-indoors
- Hahn, J. and Weisenhorn, J. Slugs. 2020. https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/slugs
- Weisenhorn, J. and Hoidal, N. Lighting for indoor plants and starting seeds. 2020/ https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/lighting-indoor-plants
- Hahn, J. and Weisenhorn, J. Managing insects on indoor plants. 2020. https://extension.umn.edu/product-and-houseplant-pests/insects-indoor-plants
- Weisenhorn, J., Johnson, G. and Gillman, J. Planting and transplanting trees and shrubs. 2020. https://extension.umn.edu/how/planting-and-transplanting-trees-and-shrubs
- The effects of deicing salts on landscapes. 2020. https://extension.umn.edu/lawns-and-landscapes/effects-deicing-salts-landscapes
- Weisenhorn, J. and Hultberg, A. Clean and disinfect gardening tools and containers. 2020. https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/clean-and-disinfect-gardening-tools
- Weisenhorn, J. and Hultberg, A. Rain barrels in the home landscape. 2020. https://extension.umn.edu/water-wisely-start-your-own-backyard/rain-barrels.
- Johnson, G. and Weisenhorn, J. Select Trees and Shrubs for Minnesota. 2019. https://extension.umn.edu/trees-and-shrubs/trees-and-shrubs-minnesota/
- Weisenhorn, J. Annual Flowers that Attract Pollinators. 2019 https://extension.umn.edu/flowers-pollinators/annual-flowers-pollinators;
- Weisenhorn, J. Growing Lilacs for Minnesota Landscapes. 2019. https://extension.umn.edu/trees-and-shrubs/lilacs
- Hahn, J. and Weisenhorn, J. Japanese Beetles in Yards and Gardens. 2019. https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/japanese-beetles
- Weisenhorn, J. Geraniums. 2018. https://extension.umn.edu/flowers/growing-geraniums-annual-flowers-minne...
- Weisenhorn, J. Growing bulbs indoors. 2018. https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/growing-bulbs-indoors
- Weisenhorn, J. Poinsettias. 2018. https://extension.umn.edu/house-plants/poinsettia; Meyer, M., and Weisenhorn, J. Growing and caring for Amaryllis. 2017. https://extension.umn.edu/house-plants/amaryllis
- Weisenhorn, J. African violets. 2017. https://extension.umn.edu/house-plants/african-violets
- Minnesota Gardening Calendar. Contributor, editor. 2008 – 2017
- Editor, course manual, HORT 1003 Master Gardener Core Course / Horticulture for the Home Garden, 2008 - 2014
Honors and Awards
- A pollinator-friendly garden for the winter: An Extension Guide. November 3, 2018. 2019 National Finalist, Communications / Videos category, National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA). 2019 State winner, Minnesota Association of Extension Agriculture Professionals (MAEAP).
- Star Academic Professional Award for stellar performance in research, teaching and/or outreach.
- College of Food, Agriculture and Natural Resource Sciences, University of Minnesota. June 1, 2007.
- Merit Award for stellar performance in research, teaching and/or outreach. College of Food, Agriculture and Natural Resource Sciences, University of Minnesota. May 15, 2006.
- Merit Award for stellar performance in research, teaching and/or outreach. College of Food, Agriculture and Natural Resource Sciences, University of Minnesota. September 22, 2005.
- Member / Vice chair, Noxious Weed Advisory Committee. Minnesota Department of Agriculture. 2019 - 2023;
- Member, Noxious Weed Listing subcommittee. 2019 – 2023.
- Member, Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association (MNLA). 2006 – MNLA Education and Certification Committee 2018 -
- Member, American Orchid Society. 2018 –
- Member, Minnesota Association of Extension Agricultural Professionals (MAEAP). 2014 –
- National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA). 2014 –
- Member, American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS). 2014 –
- Member, American Horticultural Society (AHS). 2004 –
- Extension Master Gardener. 1996 – 2008
- Member, Minnesota State Horticultural Society. 1996 -