1970 Folwell Ave
Saint Paul, MN 55108
Ph.D. Iowa Sate University, Economics 2006
Areas of Interest
Horticultural Marketing and Trade
Professor Yue also holds the Bachman Endowed Chair in Horticultural Marketing. This sector contributes to local and regional economies around the country. In addition, consumer choices about the food they eat – especially about the consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables – are recognized to be of great significance for health outcomes. By better understanding consumers’ and other stakeholders’ preferences, Professor Yue’s research provides important guidance and implications for marketing horticultural products in strategic ways, which can greatly increase the products’ success in the marketplace. Professor Yue has conducted numerous studies on consumer horticultural product choice using various experimental methods (e.g. eye-tracking, experimental auctions and choice experiments) and behavioral models (e.g. hyperbolic discounting models and prospect theory).
- Hort/ApEc4461 Horticultural Marketing
- ApEc8402 Information and Behavioral Economics
Professor Yue's research focuses on two major trans-disciplinary areas: horticultural marketing and global horticultural trade. Horticultural marketing contributes significantly to local and regional economies around the country. Working with researchers and industry stakeholders from multiple disciplines inspires Professor Yue to design unique and innovative research topics and approach them in non-traditional ways. By better understanding consumers’ and other stakeholders’ preference, Professor Yue's research provides important guidance and implications for marketing horticultural products in strategic ways, which can greatly increase the products’ success in the marketplace. The second filed of focus was global horticultural trade. In the past decades, many countries have set up their own trade standards and regulations in order to protect human, animal, or plant life and health. These distinct standards among countries often lead to trade disputes which involve many countries and billions of dollars. Many of these disputes were centered around horticultural products. The timely settlements of these disputes rely very much on the accurate economic analysis of these standards’ impact on trade. However, the existing economic models are not readily applicable to measure the standards’ impact under different situations, which makes it difficult to provide accurate trade policy guidance to governments and trade organizations. Professor Yue's research spans this gap. Her novel research findings have significant policy implications for international trade standards’ set-up and implementations and international trade dispute settlement.
Professor Yue's outreach program is fully integrated with her research efforts. Professor Yue's research in horticultural marketing and trade at the state, national, and international levels informs her outreach program. In turn, questions and comments from industry stakeholders influence the topics on which she chooses to conduct research. She actively interacts with industry groups to understand their needs and challenges and select research topics to meet their needs and help address their challenges.
- Li, Z., R.K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, C. Yue, V. Whitaker and J. McFerson. 2020. “Grower Willingness to Pay for Fruit Quality versus Disease Resistance and Welfare Implications: The Case of Florida Strawberry.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 45(2): 199-218.
- Zhao S. and C. Yue 2020. Investigating Consumer Participation Decision for Community Supported Agriculture: An Application of Cumulative Prospect Theory. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 45(1): 124-144.
- Iezzoni, A. F., J. McFerson, J. Luby, K. Gasic, V. Whitaker, N. Bassil, C. Yue, K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, M. Coe, C. Hardner, J. D. Zurn, S. Hokanson, E. van de Weg, S. Jung, D. Main, C. da Silva Linge, S. Vanderzande, T. M. Davis, L. L. Mahoney, C. Finn and C. Peace. 2020. RosBREED: bridging the chasm between discovery and application to enable DNA-informed breeding in rosaceous crops. Horticulture Research 7: 177.
- Zhao S. and C. Yue 2020. Risk preferences of commodity crop producers and specialty crop producers: an application of prospect theory. Agricultural Economics 51:359–372.
- Li, Z., R. K. Gallardo, V.A. McCracken, C. Yue, K. Gasic, G. Reighard, and J. R. McFerson. 2020. U.S. Southeastern Peach Growers Preferences for Fruit Size and External Color versus Resistance to Brown Rot Disease. HortTechnology 30 (5): 576-584.
- Lai Y. and C. Yue. 2020. Consumer Willingness to Pay for Organic and Animal Welfare Product Attributes: Do Experimental Results Align with Market Data? Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 45(3):462–483.
- Yue, C., Y. Lai, J. Wang and P Mitchell. 2020. Consumer Preferences for Sustainable Product Attributes and Farm Program Features. Sustainability 2020, 12(18), 7388; https://doi.org/10.3390/su12187388.
- Yue, C. Z Vickers, J. Wang, N. Anderson, L. Wisdorf, J. Brady, M. Schermann, N. Phelps, and P. Venturelli. 2020. Consumer Acceptability of Aquaponically Grown Basil. HortScience 55 (6): 841-850.
- Wannemuehler, S. D., C. Yue, W. Hoashi-Erhardt, R. K. Gallardo, and V. McCracken. 2020. Cost-effectiveness Analysis of a Strawberry Breeding Program Incorporating DNA-informed Technology. HortTechnology 30(3): 365-371.
- Wannemuehler, S. D., C. Yue, W. Shane, R. K. Gallardo, and V. McCracken. 2020. Estimated Implementation Costs of DNA-informed Breeding in a Peach Breeding Program. HortTechnolgy: 30(3): 356-364.
- Wannemuehler, S. D., Luby, J. J., Yue, C., Bedford, D. S., Gallardo, R. K., & McCracken, V. A. 2019. A Cost-Benefit Analysis of DNA Informed Apple Breeding. HortScience, 54(11) 1998-2004.
- Abbey, M., Anderson, N. O., Yue, C., Short, G., Schermann, M., Phelps, N., Venturelli, P., & Vickers, Z. 2019. An Analysis of Strawberry (Fragaria ananassa) Productivity in Northern Latitudinal Aquaponic Growing Conditions. American Pomological Society, 73(1), 22-37.
- Yue, C., Wang, J., Watkins, E., Bonos, S. A., Nelson, K. C., Murphy, J. A., Meyer, W. A., & Horgan, B. P. 2019. Investigating the practices and challenges for turfgrass breeders and distributors. HortScience, 54(1) 129--135.
- Abbey, M., Anderson, N. O., Yue, C., Schermann, M., Phelps, N., Venturelli, P., & Vickers, Z. 2019. Lettuce (Lactuca sativa) Production in Northern Latitudinal Aquaponic Growing Conditions. HortScience, 54(10) 1757-1761.
- Li, Z., Gallardo, R. K., Hoashi-Erhardt, W., McCracken, V. A., Yue, C., & DeVetter, L. W. 2019. Supporting Successful Transition to the Fresh Market: Research and Extension Needs of Pacific Northwest Strawberry Growers. HortTechnology, 29(5) 649-658.
- Yue, C., Wang, J., Watkins, E., Xie, Y., Shekhar, S., Bonos, S. A., Patton, A., Morris, K., & Moncada, K. 2019. User preferences for accessing publically available turfgrass cultivar performance data. HortTechnology 1:1-12.
- Short, G., Yue, C., Abbey, M., Anderson, N., Phelps, N., Venturelli, P., and Vickers, Z. 2018. Consumer preferences for aquaponic produce: Implications from an experimental auction. Agribusiness, An International Journal 34(4):742-755.
- Gallardo, R. K., Hanrahan, I., Yue, C., McCracken, V. A., Luby, J., McFerson, J. R., Carrillo-Rodriguez, L. 2018. Combining sensory evaluations and experimental auctions to assess consumers’ preferences for fresh fruit quality characteristics. Agribusiness, An International Journal, 34(2) 407-425.
- Zhao, L., Wang, C., Gu, H., & Yue, C. 2018. Market incentive, government regulation and the behavior of pesticide application of vegetable farmers in China. Food Control, 85 308--317.
- Barnes, M. R., Nelson, K. C., Meyer, A. J., Watkins, E., Bonos, S. A., Horgan, B. P. and Yue, C. Public land managers and sustainable urban vegetation: The case of low-input turfgrasses. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 29: 284--292.
- Zhou, R., Yue, C., Zhao, S., Gallardo, R. K., McCracken, V., Luby, J. J., and McFerson, J. R. 2018. Using Market Segmentation Analysis to Identify Consumer Preferences for Fresh Peach Attributes. HortScience, 53(11): 1664--1668.
- Khachatryan, H., Rihn, A., Behe, B., Hall, C., Campbell, B., Dennis, J., and Yue, C. 2018. Visual attention, buying impulsiveness, and consumer behavior. Marketing Letters, 29(1), 23--35.
- Peng, X., Zhao, L., Yue, C., and Ahlstrom, D. 2018. Are different income sources fungible? The effects of agricultural subsidy and disaster relief on household consumption in China. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 1-14.
- Choi, J. W., Yue, C., Luby, J., Zhao, S., Gallardo, K., McCracken, V., and McFerson, J. 2018. Estimation of market equilibrium values for apple attributes. China Agricultural Economic Review, 10(1): 135--151.
- Short, G., C. Yue, N. Anderson, C. Russell, N. Phelps. 2017. “Consumer Perceptions of Aquaponic Systems.” HortTechnology 27(3): 358-366.
- Yue, C., J. Wang, E. Watkins, S.A. Bonos, K.C. Nelson, J.A. Murphy, W.A. Meyer, and B.P. Horgan. 2017. “An Investigation of Trait Prioritization in Turfgrass Breeding Programs” HortScience 52(11):1544–1549.
- Lee, J. and C. Yue. 2017. “Impacts of the US dollar (USD) Exchange Rate on Economic Growth and the Environment in the United States" Energy Economics 64 (C): 170-176 (Impact Factor: 3.199).
- Zhao, L., C. Wang, H. Gu and C. Yue. 2017. Market incentive, government regulation and the behavior of pesticide application of vegetable farmers in China. Food Control doi:10.1016/j.foodcont.2017.09.016.
- Khachatryan, H., A. Rihn, B. Behe, C. Hall, B. Campbell, J. Dennis, C. Yue. 2017. “Visual Attention, Buying Impulsiveness, and Consumer Behavior. Accepted by Marketing Letters (Impact Factor: 1.818).
- Yue, C., J. Wang, E. Watkins, S.A. Bonos, K.C. Nelson, J.A. Murphy, W.A. Meyer, and B.P. Horgan. 2017. Heterogeneous Consumer Preferences for Turfgrass Attributes in the United States and Canada.” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue Canadienne D'agroeconomie 65(3): 347-383.
- Yue, C., J. Wang, E. Watkins, S.A. Bonos, K.C. Nelson, J.A. Murphy, W.A. Meyer, and B.P. Horgan. 2017. “Consumer Preferences for Information Sources of Turfgrass Products and Lawn Care.” Agronomy Journal 109 (4): 1726-1733.
- Choi, J. W., C. Yue., J. Luby, S. Zhao, K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, and J. McFerson 2017. “Estimating Strawberry Attributes’ Market Equilibrium Values.” HortScience 52:742-748.
- Choi, J. W., C. Yue., J. Luby, K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, and J. McFerson 2017. “Estimation of Market Equilibrium Values for Apple Attributes.” China Agricultural Economics Review https://doi.org/10.1108/CAER-12-2016-0192.
- Khachatryan, H., A. Rihn, B. Behe, C. Hall, B. Campbell, J. Dennis, C. Yue. 2017. “Visual Attention to Eco-labels Predicts Consumer Preferences for Pollinator Friendly Plants.” Sustainability 9(10): 1743 (Impact Factor: 1.343).
- Choi, J. W. and C. Yue. 2017. Investigating the Impact of Maximum Residue Limit Standards on the Vegetable Trade in Japan. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review 20 (1): 159 – 173.
- Zhao, S., C. Yue, J. Luby, K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, and J. McFerson. 2017. “U.S. Peach Producer Preference and Willingness to Pay for Fruit Attributes” HortScience 52:116-121.
- Wang, J., C. Yue, K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, J. Luby and J. McFerson. 2017. "What Consumers Are Looking for in Strawberries: Implications from Market Segmentation Analysis." Agribusiness: An International Journal 33(1): 56-69.
- Ran, T. and C. Yue. 2017. “Does Nutrition Information Contribute to Grocery Shoppers’ Willingness to Pay?” Journal of Food Products Marketing 23(5):591-608.
- Zhao, S., C. Yue, M. Meyer and C. Hall. 2016. “Factors Affecting U.S. Consumer Expenditures of Fresh Flowers and Potted Plants.” Forthcoming in HortTechnology 26(4).
- Yue, C., B. Campbell, C. Hall, B. Behe, J. Dennis, and H. Khachatryan. 2016. “Consumer Preference for Sustainable Attributes in Plants: Evidence from Experimental Auctions.” Agribusiness, An International Journal 32(2): 222-223.
- Rihn, A. and C. Yue. 2016. “Visual Attention’s Influence on Consumers’ Willingness-to-pay for Processed Food Products.” Agribusiness, An International Journal. 32(3): 314-328.
- Yue, C., S. Zhao, K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, J. Luby and J. McFerson. 2016. "U.S. Growers’ Willingness to Pay for Improvement in Rosaceous Fruit Traits." Agricultural and Resource Economics Review 46:103-12.
- Zheng, X., C. Yue, K. Gallardo, V. McCracken, J. Luby, and J. McFerson. 2016. “What Attributes Are Consumers Looking for in Sweet Cherries? Evidence from Choice Experiments” Agricultural and Resource Economics Review 45: 124-142.
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Teaching Award: Graduate Faculty, College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resources, 2020
- Outstanding Graduate Educator Award, American Society for Horticultural Science, 2019
- McKnight Land-Grant Professor, 2011–2013, University of Minnesota