Undergraduate Studies

Students interested in delving into horticulture have the option of two undergraduate majors: plant science or food systems, as well as a minor. These interdisciplinary majors allow students the freedom to tailor their education to the topics they feel passionate about.


Plant Science

Students in lab space doing an experiment

Plant science students learn about conventional large-scale farming, organic agriculture, new sustainable production practices, medicinal plants, greenhouse management, and turf and lawn management. You'll do all this in the classroom, online, in greenhouses, in the field, and possibly through study abroad. Learn more about the plant science major on the Plant Science website.

Food Systems

This major teaches students the knowledge and problem-solving skills to address complex challenges and opportunities in food systems. This is guided by an interest in food and food systems that are sustainable in environmental, economic, and social terms. Students study food systems in diverse contexts and at different scales. Learn more about the food systems major on the Food Systems website.

Minor in HorticultureHort Minor

Plants provide many practical and recreational benefits to society, whether it is the food we eat, the parks we play in, or the gardens we admire. The horticultural science minor is geared toward students who want to learn more about plants and their many uses in the landscape.

The horticulture minor requires 18 credits:

  • Required Courses - 4 credits
    • HORT 1001 (4 cr)
  • Horticulture & Elective Courses - 14 credits
    • At least 14 credits (6 credits must be taken at University of Minnesota-Twin Cities) from courses with a HORT designator, of which one horticulture-related elective course may be substituted (such as SOILS, ENT, PLPA, etc.). At least two HORT courses must be at the 4XXX or 5XXX level. A maximum of 3 credits of HORT 3090 (Directed Studies) may be applied.

Interested students can apply for the minor online. Stop by 305 Alderman Hall if you have any questions.

Transfer Students

Plant science or food systems are great majors to consider if you are changing majors within the University of Minnesota, or if you are transferring from another school. The majors are flexible, and the large number of free electives built into them makes it easy to 1) transfer coursework into our majors from other departments or universities or 2) pick up a minor. Please contact Carolyn Larson at cllarson@umn.edu with any questions regarding a potential transfer.

Find out whether your status makes you a transfer student.