- Ph.D. University of Illinois
- M.S. North Carolina State University
- B.S. Michigan State University
Water Conservation; Pesticide and Fertilizer Fate and Transport; Golf Course Management
Dr. Horgan’s research interests focus on the fate and transport of pesticides and nutrients, water conservation strategies, and low-input turfgrass systems. Horgan's most recent award recognizing excellence in the turfgrass industry was the prestigious Minnesota Golf Course Superintendents Association President's Award.
Dr. Horgan outreaches to the community as a Turfgrass Extension Specialist. The position gives him opportunity to interact with the industry and facilitate educational programs designed to meet the needs of the state. He is a faculty advisor to the student chapter of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (also known as Turf Club).
He is past chair of the National Turfgrass Evaluation Program advisory committee, science editor for Turf News, and past chair of the Turfgrass Science division of the Crop Science Society. In addition to his participation in various state and regional turf conferences within the United States, Horgan has taught soil fertility and plant nutrition in Sweden, Norway, Turkey, Hong Kong, China, and New Zealand. He has taught for the GCSAA since 2006.
- Stier, J.C., B.P. Horgan and S.A. Bonos (ed). 1328 pp. 2013. Turfgrass: biology, use and management. Agronomy Society of America Book Series. Agronomy Monograph No. 56. Madison, WI.
- Rice, P.J. and B.P. Horgan. 2013. Evaluation of nitrogen and phosphorus transport with runoff from fairway turf managed with hollow tine core cultivation and verticutting. Sci. of the Total Environ.
- Gardner, D.S., B.P. Horgan and B.J. Horvath. 2013. Spatial variability of soil amino sugar nitrogen on golf course fairways. Int. Turfgrass Journal. 12:545-551.
- Friell, J. E.Watkins and B.P. Horgan. 2013. Salt tolerance of 74 turfgrass cultivars in nutrient solution culture. Crop Sci. doi:10.2135/cropsci2012.08.0476
- Johnson, P.G., F.S. Rossi and B.P. Horgan. 2013. Sustainable turfgrass management in an increasingly urbanized world. In Stier, J.C., B.P. Horgan and S.A. Bonos (eds) Turfgrass: biology, use and management. Agronomy Society of America Book Series. Agronomy Monograph No. 56. Madison, WI.
- Friell, J., E. Watkins and B.P. Horgan. 2012. Salt tolerance of 75 cool-season turfgrasses for roadsides. Acta Agriculture Scandinavica, Section B – Soil and Plant Science, 62:sup1, 44-52.
- Bauer, S., B.P. Horgan, E. Watkins, A. Hathaway, K. Frank and R. Calhoun. 2012. Establishment of creeping bentgrass in annual bluegrass fairways using glyphosate and interseeding. Applied Turfgrass Science. doi: 10.1094/ATS-212-0127-01-RS.
- Rice, P.J. and B.P. Horgan. 2011. Nutrient loss with runoff from fairway turf: An evaluation of core cultivation practices and their environmental impact. Environ. Tox and Chem. 30(11): 2473-2480.
- Rice P.J., B.P. Horgan and J.L. Rittenhouse. 2011. Effectiveness of cultivation to minimize the off-site transport of pesticides in runoff from managed turf, pp. 2011. In Goh, K., T. Potter, B. Bret and J. Gan (eds.) Pesticide Mitigation Strategies for Surface Water Quality, ACS Symposium Series 1075, American Chemical Society, Washington DC. ISBN 13:97808441226562.
- Bauer, S., D.Lloyd, B.P. Horgan and D.J. Soldat. 2011. Agronomic and physiological responses of cool-season turfgrass to fall-applied nitrogen. Crop Sci. 52:1-10.
- Cavanaugh, M, E. Watkins, B.P. Horgan and M. Meyer. 2011. Conversion of Kentucky bluegrass to no-mow, low-input grasses. Applied Turfgrass Science. doi:10.1094/ATS-2011-0926-02-RS.
- Pease, B.W., J.C. Stier, A.B. Hollman and B.P. Horgan. 2011. Nitrogen fertility for establishment of velvet and creeping bentgrass fairways and Tees. Applied Turfgrass Science. doi: 10.1094/ATS-2011-0517-01-RS.
- Elliott, S., M.H. Meyer, G.R. Sands and B.P. Horgan. 2011. Water quality characteristics of three rain gardens located within the Twin Cities Metropolitian Area, Minnesota. Cities and the Environment: Vol. 4: Iss. 1, Article 4.
- Rice, P.J, B.P. Horgan, C.J. Hapeman and L.L. McConnell. 2011. Efficacy of Management Practices to Mitigate the Off-Site Movement and Ecological Risk of Pesticides Transported with Runoff from Agricultural and Turf Systems, Pesticides - Formulations, Effects, Fate, Margarita Stoytcheva (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-532-7, InTech.
- Watkins, E, S. Fei, D. Gardner, J. Stier, S. Bughrara, D. Li, C. Bigelow, L. Schliecher, B. Horgan and K. Diesburg. 2011. Low-input turfgrass species for the North Central United States. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2011-0126-02-RS.
- Rice, P.J., B.P. Horgan and J.L. Rittenhouse. 2010b. Pesticide transport with runoff from creeping bentgrass turf: relationship of pesticide properties to mass transport. Envrion. Tox. and Chem. Vol. 29, No. 6:1209-1214.
- Rice, P.J., B.P. Horgan and J.L. Rittenhouse. 2010a. Evaluation of core cultivation practices to reduce ecological risk of pesticides in runoff from Agrostis palustris. Environ. Tox. and Chem. Vol. 29, No. 6:1215-1223.
- Bierman, P.M., B.P. Horgan, C.J. Rosen, A.B. Hollman and P.H. Pagliari. 2010. Phosphorus runoff from turfgrass as affected by phosphorus fertilization and clipping management. J. Environ. Qual. 39:282-292.
- Watkins, E., A.B. Hollman and B.P. Horgan. 2010. Evaluation of alternative turfgrass species for low-input golf course fairways. Hort. Sci. 45(1):113-118.
- Kerns, J.P., P.L. Koch, D. Cook, B.P. Horgan and F.P. Wong. 2010. First report of brown patch caused by Waitea circinata var. circinata on Poa annua in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Plant Disease. Vol. 94, No. 9:1165.
- Stier, J and B.P. Horgan. 2009. Sensitivity of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars to bispyribac-sodium herbicide. Int. Turfgrass J. 11:1221-1228.
- Rice, P.J. and B.P. Horgan. 2009. Fungicide and nutrient transport with runoff from creeping bentgrass turf. Int. Turfgrass J. 11:61-75.
- Johnsen, A.R., B.P. Horgan and V. Cline. 2009a. Effect of turf species and sensor orientation to the sun on reflectance measurement. Int. Turfgrass J. 11:31-39.
- Johnsen, A.R., B.P. Horgan, B.S. Hulke and V. Cline. 2009b. Evaluation of remote sensing to measure plant stress in creeping bentgrass fairways. Crop Sci. 49:2261-2274.
- Kramer, K.E., P.J. Rice, B.P. Horgan, J.L. Rittenhouse and K.W. King. 2009. Pesticide transport with runoff from creeping bentgrass turf: Observations compared with TurfPQ model simulations. J. Environ. Qual. 38:2402-2411.